Residential HousingMason LIFE
The residential component continues to build upon the foundation fostered in the independent living and community access classes taught in the academic program.
While half of the Mason LIFE students commute to the university, half are residential students who live either on campus or just off campus in the community.
Since the residential program builds on the foundation of independent living skills, a basic level of independence, self-sufficiency, and understanding of personal safety is expected for a student to be in the residential housing program. The Mason LIFE Program has a robust staff of day and overnight support; however, there will be times when students are not supervised in their housing units.
Please note that the Mason LIFE Program does not own or operate the houses in which students reside, nor does the Mason LIFE Program have any contractual relationship with the owner. The Mason LIFE Program acts a liaison between day and overnight support staff, the students in the townhouses and their families to address student issues. Any issues that arise regarding the property are to be addressed by the leaseholder with the property owner.
Important Information Regarding Deed of Lease
- The units are owned and maintained by Landlord. The units are operated by the Mason LIFE Program, with final decisions on room placements.
- All units are “dry” meaning NO alcohol on the premises regardless of age.
- Unit and room assignments are typically completed by May for the upcoming academic year.
- All students and family will be provided with a copy of the Residential Handbook and by signing the final page agree to abide by all George Mason University and Mason LIFE Program policies.
- Upon moving out, all units must be cleaned to the Landlord specializations. Examples: clean out the refrigerator, take out all trash, clean bathrooms…etc. The Landlord will have the final responsibility for determining ‘normal wear and tear” and what is the result of damage, abuse or neglect.
- Residential Housing Master Schedule Fall 2016
Tenancy Calendar Dates
- Friday, August 26, 2016 Stephanie Atkins, Office Manager, email@example.com
- Thanksgiving Tuesday, November 22, 2016 – Sunday, November 27, 2016
- Last day Friday, December 9, 2016
- Spring semester begins Monday, January 23, 2017
- Spring Break March 10, 2017 – Sunday, March 19, 2017
- Last day of Spring semester Friday, May 5, 2017. Move out is Saturday, May 6, 2017 unless extended because of snow days. Graduation Saturday, May 20, 2017.
Residential Handbook for Mason LIFE Program students and their families
Monthly rent is paid directly to the Landlord and mailed to Address or direct deposit to their account.
The Mason LIFE Program pays Overnight and Day Residential Assistants to support each Mason LIFE student. As such, $4,400/semester for off-campus and $5,625/semester for on-campus, encompasses the residential housing fees for the support staff and their housing fees. Please see http://masonlife.gmu.edu/financial-information-life for more details.