Timeline for acceptance to the Mason LIFE Program
- The application must be completed and sent (post-marked by) with all required documentation by January 15, 2022, to be considered for Fall 2022 admission. Packets MUST include a non-refundable check or money order in the amount of $100.00 made out to GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY. Please note that checks or money orders that are not made out properly may delay the application process.
- In-person interviews will be held in February 2022.
- Admission offers will be extended by March 1st. If accepted for Fall 2022 admission, you must confirm your spot in the program by emailing a message of commitment and non-refundable enrollment fee of $250.00 to the Office Manager within 1 week of acceptance notification. At this time, you will also be asked to indicate your preference for on-campus living. On campus living is limited and will be determined by many factors. Failure to follow this procedure will result in forfeiture of your spot in the Mason LIFE program for Fall 2022. The Mason LIFE Program follows the tuition payment and deposit policies identified by the Student Accounts office.
- A mandatory new student and family orientation will take place on Friday, June 10th, 2022.
The following documentation MUST be included along with the completed application as required by the checklist on page 2 of the application:
- Psychological Evaluation or Educational Evaluation: Report must include – IQ, Academic and Achievement testing, as well as Executive Functioning and information/testing regarding behavioral assessment and social/emotional functioning
- Related Services Assessments if applicable (Speech, PT, OT, Assistive Technology, etc.)
- Most recent Individualized Education Plan (IEP)—please include all pages
- Two letters of recommendation (form is included in application – page 12-15 and 16-19) from a non-relative. These must be mailed directly to Mason LIFE from the person completing the recommendation.
Once completed applications have been reviewed, qualified students will be contacted to set up an in-person interview.
Admission decisions regarding the 2022-2023 academic year will be made by March 1st.
- Decisions are based on:
- Applicant's learning needs and desire to attend a postsecondary program
- Ability of program to meet applicant's needs and goals
- Ability of the applicant to exhibit appropriate behavior and independently negotiate transitions between classes and buildings, lunch and non-academic activities
- Potential of applicant to successfully achieve his/her goals within the context of the program content and setting
- Commitment from the applicant's family/caregivers to support the goals of the program