Timeline for acceptance to the Mason LIFE Program
- Application (MSWord or PDF) must be completed and sent (post-marked by) with all required documentation by January 12, 2018 to be considered for Fall 2018 admission. Packets MUST include a check or money order in the amount of $100.00 made out to GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY. Incomplete packets, packets sent after the January 12th deadline, or those missing the application fee will not be reviewed.
- Interviews/Trial Days are held in February and March of 2018.
- Admission offers will be extended by March 9th. An enrollment fee of $250.00 is due by May 1st for newly admitted students. The Mason LIFE Program follows the tuition payment and deposit policies identified by the Student Accounts office.
- The Mason LIFE Program has about a 25% acceptance rate. Of the approximately 50 applicants per year, 25 or so will be invited for an interview/trial day. Of the interviewed prospective students, about 15 will be accepted. A mandatory new student and family orientation will take place on Friday, June 22nd, 2018.
The following documentation MUST be included along with the application as required by the checklist on the application:
- Most recent Individualized Education Plan (IEP)
- Most recent Educational/Behavioral Evaluations (must be current within two years) - *** These are some examples: Wechsler Adult Intelligent Scale-Fourth Edition (WAIS-IV); Wide Range Achievement Test-Fourth Edition (WRAT-4); Kaufman Test of Educational Achievement, Third Edition (KTEA-3); Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales-Second Edition; Behavior Assessment System for Children, Second Edition (BASC-2); The Assessment of Functional Living Skills (AFLS).
- Teacher or service provider letters of recommendation
- Related Services Assessments if applicable (Speech, PT, OT, Assistive Technology, etc)
Once completed application have been reviewed, qualified students will be contacted to set up a mandatory interview/trial day. Interviews are a full day (9:30 – 3:00) and are in-person only.
Admission decisions regarding the 2018-2019 academic year will be made by March 9th, 2018.
Decisions are based on:
- Applicant's learning needs and desire to attend program
- Ability of program to meet applicant's needs and goals
- Ability of the applicant to exhibit appropriate behavior and independently negotiate transitions between classes and buildings, lunch and non-academic activities.
- Potential of applicant to successfully achieve his/ her goals within the context of the program content and setting
- Commitment from the applicant's family/caregivers to support the goals of the program
Any and all documents found on this site may only be used with written permission. All materials including all aspects of the application are copyrighted. For those researchers or program personnel that request to use the Graff Parent Readiness Scale (GPRS) or the Mason Interview Tool, in return the user agrees to provide non-identifiable data to further research efforts in the field. Please e-mail Heidi J. Graff at email@example.com for any further questions.